I Fill the gaps with the verb in brackets using either the past perfect or past simple tenses.
1. He (give)_____ me back the book, (thank)_____ me for lending it to him and (say)_____ that he (enjoy) __________ it very much; but I (know) ______ that he (not,read) ______ it because most of the pages were still uncut.
Rješenje:gave, thanked, said, had enjoyed, knew, hadn't read.
2. When he (see)_______ his wife off at the station, he (return)_____ home as he (not,have)_____ to be at the airport till 9.30.
Rješenje: had seen, returned, didn't have.
3. He (not,have)_____ to pack, for his wife (do,already)_______ that for him and his case (be) _____ ready in the hall.
Rješenje: didn't have, had already done, was.
4. He (not,have) ______ to check the doors and windows wither, for his wife always (do)______ that before she (leave) ______ the house.
Rješenje:didn't have, did, left.
5. All he (have) _____ to do was to decide whether or not to take his overcoat with him. In the end he (decided)______ not to.
Rješenje: had, decided.
6. At 8.30 he (pick up) ______ his case, (go)______out of the house and (slam)______ the door behind him.
Rješenje: picked up, went, slammed.
7. Then he (feel)______ in his pockets for the key, for his wife (remind) _____ him to double-lock the fron door.
Rješenje: felt, had reminded.
8. When he (search)_______ all his pockets and (find)______ no key he (remember)_____ where it was.
Rješenje:had searched, (had) found, remembered.
9. He (leave) _____ it in his overcoat pocket.
Rješenje: had left.
10. Then he (remember)______ something else; his passport and tickets (be) ______ in his overcoat pocket as well.
Rješenje: remembered, were.
11. I (arrive) _____ in England in the middle of July. I (be told) _____ that England was shrouded in fog all the year round, so I (be) ______ quite surprised to find that it was merely raining.
Rješenje: arrived, had been told, was.
12. I (ask)_____ another passenger, an Englishman, about the fog and he (say) _____ that there (not, be) _____ any since the previous February.
Rješenje:asked, said, hadn't been.
13. If I (want) _____ fog, he (say) _____, (come) _____ at quite the wrong time.
Rješenje: wanted, said, had come.
14. However, he (tell) _____ me that I could buy tinned fog at a shop in Shaftesbury Avenue.
15. He (admit) ______ that he (never, buy) ______ fog there himself but (assure) ______ that they (sell) ______ good quality fog and that it (not,be) ______ expensive.
Rješenje: admitted, had never bought, assured, sold, wasn't.
16. When the old lady (return) ______ to her flat she (see) ______ at once that burglars (break) _____ in during her absence, because the front door (be) _____ open and everything in the flat (be) ______ upside down.
Rješenje: returned, saw, had broken, was, was.
17. The burglars themselves (be) _____ no longer there, but they probably (only just, leave)_____ because a cigarette was still burning on an ornamental table.
Rješenje: were, had only just left.
18. Probably they (hear) _____ the lift coming up and (run) _____ down the fire escape.
Rješenje: had heard, had run.
19. They (help) _____ themselves to her whiskey too but there (be) _____ a little left, so she (pour) _____ herself out a drink.
Rješenje: had helped, was, poured.
20. She (wonder) _____ if they (find) _____ her jewellery and rather (hope) ______ that they had.
Rješenje: wondered, had found, hoped.
21. The jewellery (be given) _____ her by her husband, who (die) ______ some years before.
Rješenje: had been given, had died.
22. Since his deatd she (not,have) ______ the heart to wear it, yet she (not,like) ______ to sell it.
Rješenje: hadn't had, hadn't liked.
23. Now it (seem) ______ that fate (take) ______ the matter out of her hands; and certainly the insurance money would come in handy.
Rješenje: seemed, had taken.
24. I (put) ______ the $5 note into one of my books, but the next day it (take) ______ me ages to find it because I (forget) ______ which book I (put) ______it into.
Rješenje: put, took, had forgotten/forgot, had put.
25. A woman (come) ______ in with a baby, who she (say) ______ (just, swallow) ______ a safety pin.
Rješenje: came, said just had swallowed.
26. I (think) _______ my trainn (leave)-_____ at 14.33 and (be) very dissapointed when I (arrive) ______ at 14.30 and (learn) ______that it (just, leave) _______.
Rješenje: thought, left, was, arrived, had just left.
27. I (find) ______ later that I (use) ______ and out-of-date timetable.
Rješenje: found, had used.
28. He (park) ______ his car under a No Parking sign and (rush) ______ into the shop. When he (come) ______ out of the shop ten minutes later the car no longer (be) ______ there.
Rješenje: parked, rushed, came, was.
29. He (wonder) ______ if someone (steal) ______ it or if the police (drive) ______ it away.
Rješenje: wondered, had stolen, had driven.
30. It (be)______ now 6 p.m.; and Jack (be) ______ tired because he (work) ______ hard all day.
Rješenje: was, had worked (had been working).
31. He (be) _______ also hungry because he (had) ______ nothing to eat since breakfast.
Rješenje: was, had had.
32. His wife usually (bring) ______ him sandwiches at lunch time, but today for some reason she (not, come)______.
Rješenje: brought, hadn't come.
33. He (keep) ______ looking at her, wondering where he (see) _______ her before.
Rješenje: kept, had seen.
34. I (look out)_______ before I (go) _______ to bed and (see)______ a man standing on the opposit pavement watching the house.
Rješenje: looked, went, saw.
35. When I (get up) _______ the following morning he (be) ______ still there, and I (wonder) ______ whether he (stay)______ there all night or if he (go away) ______ and (come back)______.
Rješenje: got up, was, wondered, had stayed, had gone away, come back.
II Put the verbs into the correct tense (simple past or prsent perfect simple)
1. Mother: I want to prepare dinner. (you/wash)_______ the dishes yet?
2. Daughter: I (wash)______ the dishes yesterday, but I (have/not)______ the time yet to do it today.
3. Mother: (you/do/already)-_____ your homework?
4. Daugther: No, I (come, just) ______ home from school.
5. Mother: You (come) ______ home from school two hours ago!
6. Daughter: Well, but my friend Lucy (call) ______ when I (arrive) _______ and I (finish/just) ______ the phone call.
7. Mother: (you/see/not)______ Lucy at school in the morning?
8. Daughter: Yes, but we (have/not) ______ time to talk then.
1. Have you washed
2. Washed, have not had
3. have you already done
4. have just come
6. called, arrived, have just finished
7. didn't you see
8. did not have